[Event] Ted Talk - Quantum Leap


Actually, I have been wanting to post about this event for quite some time but for some reason, I postponed it (to make way for other things as well as other blog posts). But then, I ended up not writing the blog posts that I (supposedly) scheduled for (lol) so here I am, writing about an event that happened last month hahaha! But I figured it was worth the share so once again, here I am (that's already twice guys! XD). 

Anyways, if y'all haven't heard of Ted Talk, well let me tell you what it is. 
TED talk is a video created from a presentation at the main TED (technology, entertainment, design) conference or one of its many satellite events around the world. TED talks are limited to a maximum length of 18 minutes but may be on any topic.

Obviously, I got that from google. Very carefully structured sentence eh? Okaylah. With my own words, Ted Talk ni sebenarnya a talk in which people share inspiring, motivational, informative as well as revolutionary stories and ideas about any topic that is worth sharing.

Like the tagline of Ted Talk itself, "ideas worth spreading". 

Okay so quoting from the TED web, basically, Ted Talks are "influential videos from expert speakers on education, business, science, tech and creativity with subtitles in 100+ languages". 

So the event that I attended was TEDx UPM. Kenapa ada "x" dekat tengah tu? Well, "x" tu is actually "independently organized TED event". 

The difference between TED and TEDx events is that the former (TED) takes more of a global approach while the latter (TEDx) typically focuses on a local community that concentrates on local voices.

(Yup. Got that from google too hahaha!)


Actually, I started watching Ted Talks on YouTube since 1st year of university. I watched it a lot, especially during my first semester. And then I downloaded the Ted Talk app to listen to it on my phone. 



The talks are very, very inspiring and resonate deeply with me. Ted Talks ni tak limit to only business, science technology etc like the web itself suggests. Talks regarding psychology, social change as well as personal growth pun ada. But more of that later. 

Anyways, the TED event that I attended was TEDx UPM. The title itself is pretty self-explanatory though. I am a UPM student, the talk was held in UPM, hence, TEDx UPM (lol). 

Masa aku datang event tuh memang I saw a lot of familiar faces dekat situ. A lot of my classmates and former classmates were committee members. Most of them are international students so I guess that's why. Aku tau pasal benda ni pun because one of them advertised it in WhatsApp groups. Took me a few days to decide sama ada nak pergi atau tak (sebab clash dengan kelas International Business Management) but last2 aku pergi je. It was worth it though.


The processing time for the ticket was about a week or two macam tu and it was in the form of an e-ticket.


These were the 10 speakers that presented their ideas for the event. My top 3 favourites were Roberto Cumaraswamy, Celinne Da Costa and Dr Lakeesha K. Ransom. 




There were a lot of items in the bag like this stainless steel straw and then there was a mug inside and other things as well. They gave us the black-coloured drawstring bag but I ended up buying one more bag. Bag tuh warna merah. Being an avid fan of anything red, I just couldn't resist. 

Anyways, in the midst of the talk, ada selingan video in which they showed us a video from previous Ted Talks. The video was Inside the Mind of a Master Procrastinator by Tim Urban. You guys can search it on YouTube. Quite a famous Ted Talk. 


I felt so inspired by Roberto's speech. Mostly because he's a marketing expert and I am currently a marketing major. He gave a lot of tips regarding the field and he emphasized a lot on collaboration. Basically, among my top three favourite speakers, he's number one. 

Other than him, I did mention I liked Celinne Da Costa and Dr Lakeesha as well right? Their talks were also very inspiring and mind-opening. Especially Dr Lakeesha's. But I guess that one is for another post. 

Anyways, in general, I enjoyed myself a lot. Looking forward to attending another Ted Talk or any event of the likes in the future! ^^



p/s: I already watched Star Wars' new movie The Rise of Skywalker. I have a LOT of things to talk about. As a fan, I have a lot of mixed emotions regarding the conclusion to the Skywalker saga. But once again, I guess that one is for another post.


6 comments:

  1. I watch banyak Ted talk in Youtube too. So nice you can attend the event. I wish I can ada chance to go. If not Youtube only :(
    Topic2 self-development yang I spend so much time listen to <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will have the opportunity to attend Ted Talk events in the future! ^^ But actually I'm curious also Ted Talk dekat Malaysia nih ada dekat mana lagi.. Kalau ada memang I nak pergi.. UPM punya nih once a year punya program and after I finish my degree I'm not sure whether I still can attend these events :((

      Delete
  2. I would definitely love to go this kinda event. Hehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. quantum leap....remind me the old days....

    ReplyDelete

silalah komen :)

Shawn Mendes